Nouvelles Aventures

2018 is a brave new year.

Last August Mayah and I took a vacation to Europe. We stayed in France for a while, then continued to Italy, to meet with my family and join up with hers, and a few good friends as well, so we could happily drive a van around and explore my "Bel paese" (beautiful country).



My sweet lady and I must have liked it there, because we got engaged in Paris, and made beautiful memories around the rest of the France and Italy.


Once we got back, we gave it a lot of thought, and decided to look for a new adventure and try something a bit different, before we settle down a bit more.

I've been wanting to get closer to my family, but going to my hometown did not feel to us like enough of an adventure. We like learning languages, and we have a passion for cooking. That pulled us to this city called Lyon, the capital of traditional French cuisine, an international destination for its beauty and its wine country. Also, only four hours train from home - and not even on a fast rail - the closest I have ever been since I was in college.

What are we going to do in Lyon?

Well, first off, refresh our French! I studied it for eight years but to be fair I haven't practiced much for, well, all my life. And this romantic language is pretty new to Mayah too. 

What else? Eat our way through Bouchons (small traditional French restaurants) of course! And bakeries! I want to learn to make croissants, bread, and boeuf en croute and all those delicious things. We'll take cooking classes.

We'll go to film festivals. Cannes and Annecy are around the corner. And fear not, we'll stay connected with our industries. I'll be at Siggraph and FMX although with a different badge (stay tuned about that).

After almost ten years, I have put some roots in San Francisco and Pixar. It is hard to say goodbye to my amazing friends - you know who you are - and my amazing job. We can't predict exactly what the future holds, and when exactly we'll come back, but we are going to live this adventure to the fullest. That's why 2018 is a brave new year.

Coffee and pastries in the Croix Rousse neighborhood, Lyon

In the meantime, come visit! We'll have pastries and coffee together.

Comments

Popular Posts