Piazza dei Mestieri

I am back home, in San Francisco, munching on some delicious chocolate covered lemon zests. Thanks to all who got out of their way to come see me at View. It was great to see you all!


 Where do those zests come from? Other than my two regular presentations, I was invited somewhat last minute to meet and teach a workshop at an unusual school, called Piazza Dei Mestieri, in the heart of Torino. This school helps youngsters to learn a profession and there are many, diverse disciplines. Each discipline has a production workshop and that is how the school maintains itself, for the most part. In fact, tuition is free, as long as students can show their progress. There is a brewing school, as well as a pub. There is a hairdressing school, with a low-cost studio for the students to practice. There is a chocolate workshop. That's where the zests I am nibbling on come from.

Of course, if I taught a workshop there, it is because there is a specialization in computer graphics too. I am no master brewer or chocolatier - although I would not mind becoming one.


The campus is remarkable, it reminds me of an old piazza surrounded by traditional businesses and a cute restaurant on the terrace, that in the summer must be really nice. That same restaurant is where all the presenters of the View conference celebrated, with a gala dinner, the final evening of the event.
Should you pass by Torino, it is probably worth giving the pub at Piazza dei Mestieri a try. As far as I could tell, the beers they brew on site are worth it.

Comments

Popular Posts